22 September 2013

I did make it to China in case you were wondering....

Apologies for it being so long since I last posted. I *still* don't have internet in my room so I'm writing this using my phone as a router. Hopefully once I've got internet sorted I'll be posting more regularly. 

The first week in Xiamen has been very long, there has been so much to do! The rest of my journey went fine apart from a one hour delay for my last flight from Guangzhou to Xiamen. I was met by the university's driver at the airport along with a group of other international students who had had to wait for my flight to get in! I felt so bad for them but it really wasn't my fault. We went straight from the airport to Xiang'an campus and to the registration procedure. There were so many forms to fill in and different desks to go to that it was quite overwhelming after the 25 hours of travelling! After about 3 hours of admin we were told we could finally go to our dormitories and complete the rest of the registration the next day. I'd been chatting to a girl at the registration and we were standing in the queue together when we went to find out what room we were in. As scholarship students is was compulsory that we were in a shared room. 

"I wonder how they allocate the rooms?"

"Wouldn't it be funny if they just did it on the order of people in the queue?"

(We looked down when the guy was writing and saw that we'd been put in the same box) 

"I guess we're room mates!"

Her name is Hilary-Ann and she's from Delaware in the US (has to always explain where this is when she first meets people!). She also studies French, Spanish and Chinese like me so that's a nice coincidence!

I'm not entirely sure how much internet I've got with my phone contract so think I'll leave this post here. Will hopefully post again soon with photos and more about my first week!

UPDATE: I was lucky enough to get a window seat on my flight from Manchester to Amsterdam so here are some shots of the start of my journey!

UPDATE: I was lucky enough to get a window seat on my flight from Manchester to Amsterdam so here are some shots of the start of my journey!

2 comments:

  1. Please post, info & photos of the Xiang'an campus. Would be great to see how far along the campus already is. Thx :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marius, I'd be happy to take some pictures and put them on here. I've been very busy with settling in recently but I'll try to do it soon!

      Delete