9 August 2013

China preparations: Xiamen information pack

Now that I'm back in the UK, it's time for me to get back to preparations for my year abroad. So far I'd managed to get my place and scholarship confirmed at Xiamen University but there was little more I could do while I was in Spain. 

When I got back on Tuesday evening I had a look at what Xiamen had sent me through the post. For some reason they'd sent me two packs: one with an admission notice and visa form (needed to apply for visa) with a map of the old campus at Siming by the beach and plans of what the new campus would look like, the other with another admission notice and visa form, a map of the new campus and a double-sided information sheet about visa application, physical examination, financial management, arrival to the university, registration, accommodation and contact details all for the new campus. It seems that I'm going to be based at the new campus like I'd feared. 

I was lucky enough to visit the university for a week in the Easter holidays as part of a student delegation for a special Southampton Day to celebrate the universities' partnership and the signing of a new partnership agreement. I was very lucky indeed as everything - flights, accommodation, food, activities,... - was paid for. I really enjoyed my week there and loved the old campus, despite all the tourists (the university campus is one of Xiamen's main tourist attractions). Lu, my Chinese teacher at Southampton, was part of the professor delegation and I got to have a brief conversation with him on the way to Gulangyu island for a sightseeing trip. I wanted to know how things were looking for my year abroad and he said that everything seemed to be fine apart from the possibility that I may have to go to the new campus. On one of the days we were taken to look at the new campus. We got a bus from outside one of the university gates which took about an hour as the new campus is in Xiang'an, on the mainland, whereas the old campus is on the south of Xiamen island. The campus is built in the middle of nowhere, they've built a few shops next to it but that's about it and the roads the bus went on to get there didn't even seem finished! Everything there is huge, looks the same and doesn't seem quite real. This probably wasn't helped by the fact that it still wasn't finished, there was work being done on several buildings as well as a huge sports stadium. I instantly hoped that Lu was wrong and that I wouldn't have to go there. We were shown where the Overseas Education Centre was going to be built and I was relieved it wasn't built yet, perhaps it wouldn't be ready in time? However, it seems that I will be going there now and there isn't much I can do about it. 


University of Southampton Day at Xiamen University 26/03/2013
Main building from across one of the old campus' lakes

View of the old campus with th sea in the distance from the hill behind Nanputuo temple
I'm probably overreacting about it anyway. Once the campus is complete, it will be its own mini town including swimming pools, shops, sports pitches, a health service, canteens and dormitories. If I'm busy studying I may not have time to leave the campus much anyway and the city centre is still accessible by bus if I want to go for whatever reason. The accommodation sounds quite nice. Overseas students get a four-bedroom appartment with four balconies, sitting room, bathroom, air-con, washing machine, sofa, coffee table, safe, cooking table (whatever that is. Worktop maybe?), water heater (boiler?) and internet access for eight students max. I'd always known I might have to share a room with someone so we'll just have to see how that goes... Compared to Chinese students this is luxury as they're four to a room! 


Buildings at Xiang'an campus (new campus)

Basketball courts with dormitories in the distance

Sports stadium under construction (probably finished by now), basketball and tennis courts

More of the new buildings and surrounding grass and plants

I need to arrive no earlier than the 14th September as the accommodation is not available before then. Registration is on the 14th and 15th at the Overseas Education College where I'll need to bring my passport, admission notice, visa application form (which ones? They gave me two of each!), 10 two-inch photos (why so many?) and physical examination record for foreigners (I'll talk about this in another post). I then need to get a registration form, update information on student system, have a photo taken for my e-card (even though I've brought 10 with me?), collect my ID card, map and other documents and have a brief interview with Chinese teachers. It's safe to say I will be shattered by the time I've travelled there, gone through this whole process and finally be granted my free accommodation (covered by scholarship)! On 16th September there will be an opening ceremony (I've learnt from my trips to China that the Chinese enjoy events like these), Chinese placement test and campus tour. On the 17th will be the physical exam for those who didn't get it done in their native country and on the 18th the class lists will be published, we meet our teachers and buy any books we might need ready for class beginning on the 19th. I'm sure it'll be a loooong week. 

I'm actually quite impressed with the information I've been given and actually having some idea what's going to happen when I arrive, nice and reassuring! It's all becoming a bit more real that I'm going to China for a year very very soon but it's all exciting as long as everything goes ok. Fingers crossed!

No comments:

Post a Comment