25 July 2013

Madrid's street performers and buskers

As any tourist/capital city, Madrid is full of street performers and buskers and it has to be said that it does make wanders around the city more entertaining!

When I first arrived I was baffled when I saw a man hovering above another in Puerta del Sol but soon learned that this is a very popular act at the moment as you see them everywhere. I really want to know how they do it though! The trick must be to see them setting up...









Whenever you go to Puerta del Sol you are almost guaranteed to see people dressed up as Disney characters, Smurfs or Simpsons. I haven't got as many photos of them as usually as soon as they see you take a photo, they pester you for money and they're actually quite scary! Someone told me that they saw a fight between a couple of them once which must have been quite amusing.


Mickey and Minnie Mouse meeting


Didn't know Bart Simpson was friends with the Smurfs!

There are also some more traditional street performers dotted around as well, covered in paint or pretending not to have a head. I wonder how much money they actually earn as it's the kind of act everyone's already seen before.


Chilling in the Sabatini gardens


I wonder how he sees where he's going!


I do quite like the tree lady



In Retiro park one day I also saw a guy doing a balancing and juggling act which was pretty impressive.







This guy has probably one of the craziest acts I've seen though. Been fortunate enough to witness him performing twice on pedestrian crossings around Alonso Martinez. 








I'm not sure which I prefer out of the street performers and buskers as there are some good musicians out there!

I've seen some good classical musicians, a string quartet in Retiro and a violinist outside the cathedral/Palacio Real.


He picked a nice busking spot!




String quartet playing on the last day of the book fair in Retiro park

Accordions seem to be very popular here too, there's one accordionist who always plays the music from Amelie in Retiro park which I have always loved. Does make you feel like you should be in Paris though!



Taking advantage of the long queue of tourists waiting to get into the palace for free

I've also seen some less usual instruments being played around Madrid...


Playing the glasses

No idea what this instrument is

My favourites are probably this group of three guys though who are always in the same spot on Calle Fuencarral. The two guys on the right are twins and were my friend Maria Jesús' neighbours back in Leon! They always make me smile. 



No comments:

Post a Comment