16 July 2013

Semana seis

I haven't posted in a while as I've either been busy playing with the girls or going out exploring Madrid. So, here's a little bit about what I've been up to. On Monday, completely oblivious to the fact I'd got an email telling me that both my place and scholarship had been confirmed for China (see last post), I had a wander around Parque Juan Carlos I while the family went out for a friend's birthday party. It's a modern park in the northeast of the city, on the way to the airport, full of modern sculptures, exercise parks, playgrounds, playing fields and trees with the river running through the middle. Every time I go to a park here I'm reminded that the Spanish like to keep themselves fit by all the joggers, walkers, skateboarders, rollerbladers and people exercising in the specially designed areas. I don't go to parks that often in the UK but I'm pretty sure it's not the same, we don't have the exercise areas for a start!


A pyramid covered in solar panels which power the park's vehicles which are kept inside. Reminded me of the Stockport pyramid a bit!

View from the top of the park. A golf course with buildings in the distance.

On Tuesday I finally checked my emails and found out about China. I celebrated by going out to meet one of my Spanish friends, María Jesús, for a walk/tour round the centre followed by a few drinks and tapas.

Wednesday and Thursday were both intercambio nights as usual but on Thursday afternoon the girls went to their friends' houses so I had a free afternoon in which I went to the Jardín Botánico before meeting up with María Jesús again and going together to intercambio. I quite liked the Jardín Botánico although it may have been a better idea to go there later on because of the heat. You have to pay to go in (3 euros) but if you present your student card, as I did, it's on 1.50. There's a huge selection of plants there including bonsais, cacti and sunflowers so it was nice to have a little wander around. There were also a couple of photography exhibitions on as part of PhotoEspaña, a photography festival in Madrid this summer, so I had a little look round those as well.


Archways

Some of the many bonsais in front of a pool

Never seen so many cacti!
View of the building where the photo exhibitions were held
On Friday and Saturday I met up with a friend from intercambio before doing some more sightseeing on Sunday. I went to the Rastro flea market which takes place on Sundays 9am - 3pm. Having had a Sunday morning lie-in, I didn't get there until 2pm but thankfully it wasn't too crowded. I hadn't been expecting much, as the family don't seem to like it very much, but I was pleasantly surprised by the size and variety of products. I didn't buy anything but it was definitely worth a look. There were a group of African drummers, dancers and singers parading their way up the street whilst the market was taking place so they were interesting to watch.


El Rastro. Market selling souvenirs, furniture, clothes,...

The African drummers, dancers and singers
I had a walk down the Puerta de Toledo as it wasn't far from the market

Later on I went to the Plaza Mayor. Never seen it so busy! There was some kind of concert going on as well as a hunger strike.

Finally, yesterday I attempted to go on a bike ride with one of the family's folding bikes. Before this I thought that my own bike was bad. It's a mountain bike from Toys 'r' us that I've had since I was 10 years old. I took it to Portswood Cycles to get my brakes fixed and the guys in there laughed at how bad it was! I don't use it very much, only to get me round Southampton, so it doesn't really matter. However, I soon realised that my bike wasn't that bad afterall. I managed to go about 15 mins down the cycle track (where I'd taken India the dog a few weeks ago) before deciding to go back, half walking, as the bike was just too difficult to ride. 


One of the family's folding bikes

I've now only got three weeks left here. Where has the time gone?!

No comments:

Post a Comment