19 July 2014

Denmark

After our China travelling trip, it was back to Xiamen and exams (these went fine, I passed all of my modules for the year). After exams was saying goodbye to Xiamen and the various friends I'd met there. This included various meals, nights out and goodbyes, with the hope of seeing at least some of the people again. After this was what turned out to be a very long journey home, 24 hours more than planned! I am still waiting for the compensation I'm entitled to through my travel insurance for it.

Anyway, I got back to Romiley, Stockport on Wednesday 25th June and left for Denmark On Thursday 3rd July, just over a week later. This may seem very early to go away again but it was my only chance to see Alex over the summer. He's spending the majority of it in Dubai with his parents (where I went for Christmas last year) which is an expensive plane ticket from the UK! However, he and his family were going to Denmark to visit friends and family (they're Danish) so it was much more feasible to purchase an easyJet ticket to go there for a week instead. Alex and his family are from Roskilde, a town just outside of Copenhagen, so I flew from Manchester to Copenhagen Airport.


On arrival, I was met by Alex and we went by train to Copenhagen as his parents were there for the day. This gave me a chance to do some sightseeing of the capital including the outside of Tivoli, City Hall, Amalienborg (Royal Palace) and Nyhavn (Harbour). I really enjoyed walking around the Danish capital, taking in all of the sights, as I had never been there before - I hadn't even been to Scandinavia before!



City Hall


Pedestrian Shopping Street


Nyhavn


Alex and I at Amalienborg
The next day was spent in Roskilde. We went to an art gallery of a contemporary artist Alex's parents like. He mostly does abstract paintings and metal sculptures and goes by the name "The Zinker" and his trademark is to use z's instead of s's in words. It was very interesting to have a look around his gallery, I particularly liked his sculptures. Here's a link to his website: http://www.thezinker.com/

After the gallery, Alex took me to see Roskilde Domkirke (Cathedral), the burial site of the Danish Royals since the 15th century, and where Alex had his confirmation. It is a very impressive church and I would definitely recommend a visit. It's both beautiful and full of history. It costs 60 kroner for a standard adult visit, or 40 for students. Alex then took me on a little walk around the town, showing me various spots such as his old school, the park and the main shopping street.



Roskilde Domkirke


Inside the Cathedral


Inside the Cathedral


Dead Royals
Saturday was also spent in Roskilde town with Alex as my tour guide. It seemed like I was visiting at a good time as the town was decorated for the Roskilde Music Festival happening that weekend. The colour of the festival is orange so there was orange bunting, orange Danish flags, orange inflatable sofas and many other orange bits and pieces dotted around which was nice to see. I wore an orange dress specially to join in the festival spirit!


Me with our HUGE ice cream!
Roskilde town


Orange fountain for the festival
As we were there at the time of the festival, I decided to treat Alex to Sunday day tickets. I had witnessed Alex telling people where he was from (particularly Scandinavians) and them talking about the festival and how great it was. However, Alex had never actually been (he left Roskilde when he was 10) so I thought that next time this happened he should be able to tell people that he had. We chose Sunday as it was the day we knew the most artists playing and because Thursday was sold out - Rolling Stones, Outkast, Bastille... Sunday was supposed to be Kasabian, Stevie Wonder and Drake but, unfortunately Drake had to pull out due to illness and was replaced by Jack White (from the White Stripes). This was a shame as Alex had been really looking forward to seeing Drake but it was still great to get the chance to see Stevie Wonder! I had grown up listening to him and knew quite a lot of his songs. We had a really nice day at the festival and were thankfully very lucky with the weather!


At Roskilde Festival with my Tuborg and Festival Guide


Stevie Wonder playing the Orange Stage at Roskilde Festival
As the main reason Alex and his family were there was to visit people, it meant that I got to meet three family friends and Alex's grandparents. They had varying levels of English from fluent to none and, as a linguist, I felt embarrassed that I couldn't speak a lot of Danish to them! I hope that my smiles and little comments like "thank you for the meal" were enough to give a good impression. His grandparents couldn't speak any English so I hope that they still liked me. I've been trying to learn Danish but have found it quite difficult. I've never learnt a language like it before. It seems like it might be a bit like German (which I have never learnt) but has some of the same/similar words with French and English. The writing system has letters in it I've never used before and the written doesn't always represent the spoken. I'm hoping to persevere and be able to speak a bit more next time I go!

On the Tuesday Alex and I had another day trip into Copenhagen to see more of the sites. This time we got the train to "Den Lille Havfrue" (the Little Mermaid) statue and made our way from there past a lot of the sites we had already seen. It was a nice sunny day, in comparison to the grey day when I arrived, so it was nice to revisit the same spots.



Us with the Little Mermaid


Novel way to see the city


A pretty church (don't know what it's called)


Amalienborg


We headed to Tivoli, the second oldest amusement park in the world (thanks Wikipedia!). It's a really nice place, definitely worth a visit, with a mixture of old and newer rides, shops and cafés. There is also a stage at the centre where concerts were held. While we were there, we witnessed a rehearsal and some of the concert of an orchestra and two vocalists which was fun. I used to play clarinet in orchestras and sing so I particularly enjoyed it. As the park is such an attraction, it is quite expensive to go on the rides so we decided to only go on one. The ride we chose was Rutschebanen, the third oldest rollercoaster in the world, celebrating 100 years this year. It was fun bit not particularly scary! Of course, it probably was back in 1914...



Rollercoaster


Pretty Tivoli
Feeling like an excited child with my banana lollipop
Third oldest rollercoaster in the world




Concert



One of the entrances to Tivoli with Rutschebanen (the mountain) behind


The last touristy thing I did was to have a quick look at Roskilde harbour where there is a Viking Ship Museum. Unfortunately, we didn’t go to the museum as it was quite expensive and we didn’t have much time, but we still had a look around the harbour which I liked. My dad used to sail a lot ) and has recently purchased his own boat) so I have lots of memories of walking around similar places while he looks at boats!

I had a really lovely week away but it seemed to end too soon. I must say a big thank you to Alex’s family and friends for looking after me and making sure I felt welcome while I was there. I’ll be back!


Tusind tak!


Ducks. We also saw jellyfish and crabs


Roskilde Havn


Viking Ship


Viking Ship



No comments:

Post a Comment